What is it?
The Social Welfare Fund Pension is a periodical economic aid, complementary to social services for those persons who cannot access a job or do not have any other income to care for their basic needs due to advanced age or disability.
The pension is personal and non-transferable, intended as a maintenance allowance, and cannot be seized or withheld or be offered as a guarantee for obligations.
Types of Pensions
There are two types of pensions: Old Age and Disability.
Who is eligible?
Persons eligible for the Social Welfare Fund Pension must meet the following requirements:
- They must have been registered on the census of any municipality of the Basque Autonomous Region prior to submitting the application. (This includes foreigners, refugees and stateless persons, provided they hold a residence permit).
- Must have turned 65 years of age, or in the case of illness, must be over 16 years of age, officially acknowledged as disabled by the relevant authority, and suffer from total disability to perform any kind of job.
- Must have no income of their own or through relatives, to care for their basic needs.
- A person is considered as having no income if that person has received, for his/her exclusive benefit and throughout the calendar year, income below the yearly amount of the aid for this pension, either in terms of income, payments, pensions or other source of income (with the exception of the valuation of the applicant’s residence owned by the applicant).
- If the applicant is integrated in a family unit, the per capita income of that unit must be less than the annual amount of this economic benefit.
Where to apply?
With the General Social Services Office at the Town Hall of the municipality where the applicant is a resident.
Who grants or denies the pension?
The benefit is granted or denied by the Provincial Council of Bizkaia, and subject to applicants’ eligibility.
For how long is it granted?
The old age or disability Social Welfare Fund Pension is granted for as long as eligibility requirements are met.
|Amount of total Monthly Pension paid, 14 payments a year
||Complementary amount of monthly aid, 14 payments a year
||Guaranteed Total monthly amount, 14 payments a yearPension + Aid